Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Research Structure

This picture from Krippendorff shows an idea of how I am going about my research method:
Click to enlarge
Although, this doesn't entirely capture what I want to do... Since I'm not sure I'm using content analysis alone. I think it is more like I'm building cases out of the documents; and I'm using content analysis + (something else, i.e. discourse analysis/semiotics/observations?) to make sense of the documents...

So the picture below maybe a better representation (my inputs in red)...

Click to enlarge
I plan to construct 15 mini (pseudo) cases to represent the risk management and outcome phenomena in each country; and I would then compare those similar phenomena to make an inference.

Does that sound sensible?

---

KRIPPENDORFF, K. 2004. Content analysis : an introduction to its methodology, Thousand Oaks, Calif., Sage.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Marion. First, congratulations for the blog, although it's unfortunate that I've only come across it now when it has already been up for half a year. Still, better late than never ;)

    Now for the issue at hand. I've only had limited exposure to content analysis--we only briefly discussed it in our business research methods class. As far as I know, it is used to format qualitative data for quantitative analysis--as what your diagrams show. But you're planning to use it to reorganize qualitative data into cases, which also represent qualitative data albeit formatted more coherently. My issue with this is that you would also need to use a qualitative method like content analysis and apply it to your cases to be able answer your research question. So why not just use content analysis on the original data to answer your research question as the first figure shows--and skip the cases?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Archie for your comment. You are right... I am planning to reorganise my data so it would be presented more coherently.

      My study is on 15 countries in 1 region... and I want to show results on each of these countries (the cases) and then compare their results to make a generalisation.

      My main reason to do so is that I do not want to take the context out of these countries; rather than just lumping up the results...

      Gathering from my response to you... I see that my method is a multiple-case study (rather than content analyis). Maybe content analysis as a process to make sense of the data(?)
      I guess this is where my confusion is coming from...

      Thanks for this!

      Delete