Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Frog and the Lily Pad Dilemma

Not entirely related to my thesis, but just a food for thought...

I've been reading "Seeing the Forest for the Trees" to learn more about systems thinking for my Innovation assignment and I encountered an interesting snippet.

Click image to enlarge.




Answers:
  • Exponential growth
  • 49th day
  • On the 40th day, the proportion of the pond covered by lily pads is very small! It would be less than one tenth of one percent! Computed as (1/2)^10

The moral of the story:

Click image to enlarge.


The book is quite interesting; it discusses systems thinking in a simple (ironic considering its a topic about complexity) yet really stimulating manner.

Images are all quotes from Sherwood. 


---
SHERWOOD, D. 2002. Seeing the forest for the trees : a manager's guide to applying systems thinking, London, Nicholas Brealey Pub.


3 comments:

  1. So how did you get (1/2)^10? I got the same proportion (at 0.00097). But I had to simulate the growth for 50 days and calculate the proportion based on the values. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked my way backwards... if 50days meant that the pond was covered 100%, and 49 days meant 50% (or 1/2), 48 days meant 1/4 or (1/2)^2... and so on... so to simplify (1/2)^10 for the 10 days which equal 0.00097 :D Your mind is too complex! We got the same answer but my solution is simpler (more practical) :D ... or I'm just ignorant of your simulation technique. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL... I like your solution better coz it is simpler and you can actually generalize it to (1/2)^x where x is the number of days. Great! I didn't think of it that way. Mine is a bara-bara solution, just to get to an answer. haha :)

    ReplyDelete