Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Wei Ji

I remember a discussion with a friend from the Philippines about risk; he pointed out to me that risk in Chinese is known as Wei Ji:


When I opened a book by Hillson, I saw these two characters in his introduction!

I found the Chinese version of risk quite interesting. It is composed of two characters, the first one meaning danger and the second one meaning opportunity. This reflects the true nature of risk; that it can be negative as well as it can be positive. In the context of programme and project management, most often than not when we talk about risk management we almost always mean about managing the impacts of unpleasant events.  Reading through his book, however, Hillson always put risk on a higher note by always emphasising the optimisation of opportunity risks.

---
Source:
HILLSON, D. 2010. Exploiting future uncertainty : creating value from risk, Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, Vt., Gower.


No comments:

Post a Comment