Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Using Documents as Data

I'm happy with my choice to do use archival documents as my primary data. Makes me feel a bit different :) Everyone else seems to be opting for using surveys. But it is not an easy choice. Reading into some literature, I have a lot of work to do... and so many decisions to make for my methodology!

Here are some concerns that I need to look at when using documents as data.
  1. Level of Analysis - Few or ,many (or both)?
    • Few - information from a single or few organisations (concentrate on a few country offices)
    • Many - information from many organisations (a sample of country offices in a region)
  2. Input Method - Read or measure (or both)?
    • Read - using large amounts of archival information, make discoveries through managed pattern of reading
    • Measure - Use social scientific 'coding'; insight comes from attention to patterns
  3. Causality Theory - Descending or ascending (or both)?
    • Descending - Macro patterns are expected to explain micro processes
    • Ascending - Micro processes develop on their own, but are incorporated at a higher level of social organisation
  4. Measurement Theory - Objects or relations (or both)?
    • Objects - analysis focuses on connecting attributes to outcomes
    • Relations - relations (rather than characteristics) of objects are expected to yield explanatory value.
Also reading about archival analysis raised a lot more questions. Just clear that there is a lot that I don't know. I read a lot of analytic methodology terms that I do not quite understand, but I may use it in the future:

Content analysis
Semantic grammars
Semiotics
Multidimensional scaling
Sequence analysis
Boolean algebra
Galois lattice
Correspondence analysis
Hierarchical classification model

---
Source:
VENTRESCA, M. J. & MOHR, J. W. 2002. Archival research methods. Blackwell companion to organizations, 805-828.

No comments:

Post a Comment