Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

Day One: Social Isolation Starts

Today, the New Zealand government has increased Alert Level 3 in response to COVID19 outbreak. The Alert Level will further be increased to Level 4 on Wednesday. This means that everyone needs to stay at home! We can still go out for walks, but it is encouraged to minimise social interaction with those outside your household. So... don't meet up with friends in the park, don't invite your neighbours over for lunch! The good thing is that essential shops (supermarkets and pharmacies) will remain open.

I'm frankly a little bit afraid, but also hopeful that we are doing the right thing. I knew this total lockdown would happen. But, now that it is happening, I feel like things are so surreal! I don't think I have yet quite cognitively and emotionally processed what this means for how I go about my day-to-day.

Despite all of this, my life as a researcher continues. I am currently working on two projects: (1) low-cost community-engaged Earthquake Early Warning systems, and (2) high-impact weather citizen science. Today, I worked on both. Just going to lay down my accomplishments to feel good about myself:

  • Sent out new invites for the EEW virtual workshop that is planned for 3rd of April
  • Created a run sheet for the workshop
  • Worked through with Emily on the agenda items for the workshop
  • Coordinated a group call with HIWeather Citizen Science working group
There also seems to be a list of things I need to work on:
  • Coordinate with the speakers for the workshop
  • Send more invites for the EEW workshop
  • Test ZOOM capabilities for the workshop
  • Draft email to be sent out to the participants
  • Work on the guidance note
  • Write up minutes for QuakeCoRE and HIWeather calls
It all still seems quite busy for me. It may be a good thing, to keep busy! But I got to make sure I also take it easy on myself.

Also, I want to share some lighthearted stuff here (might need to create two separate posts in the future).

Day 1dinner: Stir-fry vegetables with rice:




No comments:

Post a Comment