Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

17 Jan 2012 Tutorials

I feel mind boggled every time we do consultations, but it  really is very helpful for me. I am glad we do these tutorial sessions because I get a lot of constructive insights and questions (both from supervisors and colleagues). Here are a few takeaways I got from today:

On Research Methodology
  1. Network mapping on literature search - I have been doing this to some extent, but I do need to be more organised about it!
    1. Mapping previous references - what is the thought process that formed the literature?
    2. Mapping forward through citations - is the article cited by other literature?
    3. Notice recurring authors; the thought leaders in the field.
    4. Take note of the concepts linked to the authors.
  2. EndNote citations export DIRECTLY from Google Scholar - this is simply wonderful! It will definitely increase my efficiency. I can't believe how much time I have wasted manually looking for EndNote citations in separate databases.  
  3. Research journal - I have just started this blog a few days ago... Still trying to get the hang of writing things down... I think I haven't quite caught on with jotting important things down in here. I do hope I'll get more efficient about it.
On Thesis Topic
  1. Questions on assumptions: 
    • RBM relies heavily on the baseline assumptions; are they tested on the outset? Is risk management in place when making the assumptions? Do the assumptions hold true?
  2. Concern on UNDP context/stakeholders:
    • How is UNDP dealing with projects, what kind of projects, what number of projects?
    • Are ALL stakeholders' input considered when making the assumptions?
    • Who are the stakeholders? Are they adequately represented in UNDP's RBM? 
  3. Maturity of risk management
    • Does UNDP have risk management policies? Are they adequate? Are they applied?
    • Can risk management operate in the context of UNDP?
    • Will risk management make a difference?
The questions are very basic... makes me wonder what I have been reading these past few weeks???

A great session in one day. I need to read on relevant topics that were raised today and I need to be organised and efficient about my data search.

FOCUS 

No comments:

Post a Comment