Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

18 Jan 2012 Tutorials: Takeaways

Today's takeaways:

On Research Methodology
  1. Diagramming - I am impressed by Alec's use of Unified Modeling Language to map out my thesis topic. It is amazing how it helps organise the knowledge and ideas that I brought in to the table. As suggested by Dennis I can use a diagramming technique to draw out how UNDP is structured (in related to the programmes and projects). Great idea... I think it will make things clearer; as of now everything is just in my head! I should translate it to paper.
  2. Writing style - I'm happy that the tutors think I have good written English. Considering... I was just an average English Language student during my undergraduate years. An area to improve on: shorter sentences... specially in writing down my research question!
  3. Research question and objectives relationship - the objectives should contribute to the question. The achievement of the objectives should help in  answering the question.
On Thesis Topic:
  1. Risk Management Knowledge - I know that I don't know enough on risk management; and it just showed during the consultation. I can't even properly define issue versus risk! Tsk tsk...
    • My lack of knowledge and experience on risk management is identified by the tutors as the major risk in my project
    • Literature is readily available on risk management; the question is my grasp on the subject
    • Key terms that came out during our risk management discussion:
      • Issue, risk, uncertainty, proximity, benefit management, threshold, early warning indicator, risk appetite... etc
    • In relation to UNDP; I should read about risk management in the context of MSP, Prince2 and P3M3
  2. UNDP Context - I need to structure what I know about UNDP. Lay down the context. 
    • How does it flow from New York to Country office?
    • How is the country office structured? Where is UNDAF, CPAP etc... in this structure?
    • How is the MDG played in the UNDP context? As a portfolio, programme, project?
    • Who are the stakeholders? What is their influence?
  3. UNDP and Risk Management
    • What are the risk management policies and guidelines on risk management?
    • To what extent is risk management is applied in UNDP? Do they do it? Is it properly integrated?
    • The availability of data in this area is the most important for my project!
  4. Capability Maturity and RBM - also need to know how risk can be measured as well as how is it in the context of RBM in UNDP
A lot of work needs to be done! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment