Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Day 30: Teaching online

Today we had the first online session for our 'Research and Evaluations' course. I didn't teach today, my colleague Gerard took the lead. Online teaching is a new thing for me.

The challenge is keeping the students engaged. It is easy for students to multi-task while the class is ongoing. Have to think of ways to keep students actively participating. One technique for my colleague was using the chatbox. He had quick and easy questions where he gets the students to type in their questions in the chat. Then builds a discussion from there.

It is good in our digital age that we can migrate our face-to-face meetings and classes online. But I think there is still something missing with the actual interaction. Next week is my turn to deliver the online module. It will be a two-hour session on 'innovative methods'. Wish me luck!

1 comment: